How do you expand an historic church while honoring the architecture?

Munger Place Church Dallas, Texas

Expertise

  • Masterplanning
  • Worship

Size

106,387 SF
A Piece of History in Old East Dallas

Originally known as Munger Place United Methodist Church, today's Munger Place Church was founded in 1913, and its current sanctuary was built in 1925 in Old East Dallas. In the early years, the church was the largest and most influential church in Dallas with nearly 2,000 members. Old East Dallas went through a recession in the late 20th century that greatly impacted the church. In response, Highland Park United Methodist Church stepped in and assumed responsibility for the church. In 2010, the church went through extensive renovations and rebranded itself as Munger Place. Today, the church is again in need of renovations to accommodate its tremendous growth over the last decade.

  • -0
  • Hover 0

Preparing for the Next Decade

Munger Place asked OMNIPLAN to help reimagine their current space to adapt to their current and future needs. Their site has two existing buildings; the main building that holds the sanctuary and nursery, and the second building with classrooms. Our masterplan created community spaces that connect these two buildings while also providing for future growth like adult ministries, a more intimate chapel and office space. We also proposed an overflow space in the basement under the sanctuary that could be used for children's classrooms.

The church was built to become a neighborhood landmark in 1925 and was designed in the English gothic style by the prominent Dallas architect C. D. Hill. It was later registered as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1990.

Want to learn more about our Church Work? Contact Us

Search